This article is contributed by Cindy Aldridge
It’s never easy to find the right gift for someone in your life. You want to give them something they’ll love, but with the holiday season already here, you don’t have a lot of time to wander the malls and hope inspiration strikes you.
If you have a dog owner to buy for, it might be a good idea to find something both of them will love. Read on to find the right gifts for both dog and owner. You need to be careful, though. There are some gifts that can be unhealthy for the dog.
Dog Gifts To Never Buy
One common dog gift is a rawhide bone. Many people buy these for their pet dogs, which is a shame. As Dog.com shows, rawhide chews can break off and get swallowed, only to block the intestines as the dog tries to digest it. Some rawhide toys, such as those made outside the US, are also covered with a residue of dangerous chemicals that can sicken a dog.
Other classic dog toys you should avoid giving this year include:
- Toys shaped like small animals since this teaches the dog to attack the real versions.
- Dog mustaches, hats, or similar silly gifts.
- Hard frisbees. (They make a special kind of disc just for dogs.)
- Any cheaply made chew toys, as they tend to break apart.
What Dogs Love To Get
Then what should you buy for your friend’s cute furry friend? Dog treats are typically good, as almost every dog owner needs a box handy for training or treating their dog. But as Mashable shows, there are some unique dog gifts that can work even better.
- Doggie cigars look like real cigars but they’re just a chew toy.
- A pet sofa or bed gives the dog a comfortable place to rest.
- For a safe stuffed animal the dog can enjoy, have one custom made that looks like the dog.
- A “Pez” dog treat dispenser looks retro while giving the dog a fun place to store treats.
- For active dogs, a hyper tennis ball launcher can finally tire them out.
Bored Panda has a great list of unusual gifts for the dog. One of these is the auto zip line. Dogs love car rides, but they can get annoyed as they bounce around the inside of the car. The zip line attaches near the roof and runs across seat. Once tethered to the line, the dog can stay active while staying in the back seat.
Gifts For Owners
Buying a gift for the dog can be fun, but don’t forget about its owner! Dog monitor cameras make a great holiday gift. Leaving a dog at home all day can make owners a bit sad, so being able to see that their pet is just fine can be invaluable.
Some other gifts for the dog lover in your life include:
- A Paww Secret Agent leash that lets the owner easily attach it to a sign or parking meter.
- Some black-and-white photo portraits of cute dogs.
- Dognition, a series of games that helps humans understand how dogs view the world.
- A GPS tracker for the dog, especially if it tends to get past the fence a lot.
Find The Right Holiday Gift
Buying gifts for others can be a hassle, but it helps when you know you got the right present. For dogs, skip the rawhide bones and go for beds, ball launchers, or auto zip lines. Just don’t forget about something for the owner or they might be jealous!